Lisa May, LCSW
Being vulnerable is hard. However, with vulnerability comes healing. The most important part of healing our emotional wounds is having the courage to open up again. It is our willingness to show up as we are and to trust in and accept the help being offered that will ultimately lead us to the path of healing. As your clinician, I will meet you exactly where you are on this path. I plan to meet you on a human level first. Being a therapist is always secondary to this. You can expect to be met with a compassionate, empathetic, and committed response to your care needs.
As a local social worker of 17 years, I bring my experience and expertise along with a great passion for helping individuals, couples, and families. I have served individuals of all ages and backgrounds, as well as couples and groups. My approach is integrative and client-centered, because we as humans all have unique needs requiring a unique treatment plan.
I am formally trained in specific therapeutic modalities, including Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (TF-CBT), Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT), Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT), and Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR). I am a Certified Clinical Trauma Professional (CCTP) and I have a Clinical Trauma Competency for Social Workers certification. I specialize in the areas of Trauma, Secondary Trauma, and Compassion Fatigue. I have formal trainings in helping the helping professionals and I am passionate about this work.
This passion has driven me to expand my solo private practice to a group practice with other dedicated traumatologists.
◦ Child Protective Services Social Worker, Assessment, Permanency, Foster Care Licensing
◦ Emergency Room Social Worker
◦ Pediatric Medical Social Worker, Children’s Specialty Clinic serving children with chronic and terminal illness
◦ Director of Programs and Services, Non-Profit Agency serving children diagnosed with cancer and their families
◦ Adjunct Professor, UNR School of Social Work
◦ Therapist, Inpatient Psychiatric Hospital
◦ Therapist, Community Mental Health
◦ Therapist, Group Private Practice
◦ Therapist, Solo Private Practice
◦ Owner/CEO, Connected Therapy